Like Button

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Follow the Money

In most of the TV detective shows, the rule of thumb for solving the crime is "follow the money". Now, of course, it doesn't always have to be money. It is just "Who will profit?" and "Who will lose out?" The basic idea is there must be a reason for people to commit crimes. Who has the reason?

In life, as it turns out, this is generally true. We have to have a reason to do what we do, think what we think, and so on. Sometimes the reasons are clear and obvious. Sometimes not so much. Sometimes we ourselves aren't even aware of the reasons for what we do. But they're there. Generally, it is "hope for gain" or "fear of loss". Even when we don't see the gain or loss clearly, we sense it and it drives us.

I've been told that I'm wrong for pointing to Scripture and saying, "This is a sin and you need Christ." Most often the "this" is, of course, things like homosexual behavior (Rom 1:26-27; 1 Cor 6:9-10) and "same-sex marriage" (Matt 19:4-6) kinds of issues, issues where the public at large and the left-leaning self-proclaimed Christians disagree with the plain statements of Scripture. Okay, so what we have here are two events. On one hand, I'm saying, "This is a sin and you need Christ." On the other they're saying, "That's evil and hateful." So let's "follow the money."

Assuming I'm wrong -- I've committed "the crime" -- what is my motivation? What am I trying to gain or afraid to lose? I can't figure it out. It makes no difference (at least so far) if that person is "gay", homosexual, attracted to the same gender. It doesn't make me do anything or cost me anything. I don't have to "become gay" or give up my beliefs or anything like it. There are some who argue that it's about loss of power. What power? What does it matter to my life if that person is homosexual or transgender or ...? I can't see what they think my motivation is.

Assuming they're wrong, that they've committed "the crime". Why would they do it? Well, obviously, if I'm right they have to change. They have to stop doing what they want to do and, let's face it, no one wants to have to do that, from the kid with his hands in the cookie jar to the junkie. We all want to do what we want to do. And, let's be honest, none of us wants to admit we're wrong. In this case, the "wrong" would be "worthy of God's wrath" and "not inheriting the kingdom of God" (1 Cor 6:9-10). Real consequences.

If you're "following the money", I think it looks like I have no motive and they do. But I've also said that we don't do anything without a reason. So if I have no fear of loss or hope for gain in this matter, why do I bother? Why would I stick my neck out? There is only one reason that I would do so, given the current level of animosity from both anti-Christians and left-leaning self-proclaimed Christians toward people like me. Well, to be more precise, two reasons. One is that I'm commanded to "preach the gospel". Gotta do it. The Master has told me to. But that command isn't merely by way of rules. That command is by way of love. The only human reason I would bother telling someone that their behavior is sin and they need Jesus is that I don't want them to fall under God's wrath. Love.

Now, I know, the whole group that constitutes the left-leaning self-proclaimed Christians are quite certain that there is another reason somewhere that people like me would choose to put my welfare and reputation and comfort on the line to maintain a stand that they consider "out of touch", "a losing proposition", "on the wrong side of history", and, yes, even hateful. I can't imagine what that would be because, I'll be honest, I like my welfare, reputation, and comfort. So if you "follow the money", you might come to a different conclusion about why I do it than they do.

3 comments:

Stan said...

Dan T, I know you're a busy guy. I know you're constantly hunting down biblical bloggers who want to retain a biblical worldview and present biblical truth and ... well, fix us. You know, point out where we're wrong and tell us how we think and how we should think. I get it. But in your busy work to fix everyone who disagrees with you, you should try to keep track of things. I didn't vote for Trump. He's not "my guy". I don't want to "Make America Great Again." I don't need to "be right", nor do I find my self-esteem in it. I'm not going to change the world; I just know who can.

You like to lump me with everyone else that you think is like me and then tell me why I'm wrong like everyone else. What is absolutely clear is that you don't know me, what I believe, or what motivates me. So before you set out to correct me, you should just stop. You don't know what you're talking about.

Craig said...

I think the legal term is "Who benefits?". But how do you define benefits? Is it a benefit to "Gain the whole world, but lose your soul."? Is a benefit to believe that something is perfectly fine, only to find out later that it isn't? Is it a benefit to live a life of comfort, but not reach your potential? Is it a benefit to be on the "right side of history", without knowing if history is right or wrong?

As believers isn't our ultimate benefit being as much of a functional part of God's Kingdom both "On earth and in heaven"?

Like so many things this seems to come back to how you define benefit.

Stan said...

Definitions continue to be important ... and often lacking. Modern day Babel. Two people separated by a common language.