Like Button

Saturday, September 17, 2016

News Weakly - 9/17/2016

I had an entire new entry ready for this week. I wanted to point out how Massachusetts will start requiring churches to change their position on transgender bathroom accommodations. I was ready to mention the insanity of convicted felons going on strike. I wanted to talk about the irony of the NCAA relocating 7 championship games from North Carolina in the name of "inclusiveness". I wanted to share a story highlighting the newest "evil" defined by "what you do that we do too but you're wrong for it" found in "cultural appropriation". I wanted to sound the alarm about how you, through your government, will be paying for their "sex change"1 operations. There is stuff going on.

But then I came across this.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Phil 4:8)
I'm just wondering out loud, here. Do you suppose it is possible for a conscientious, Bible-believing Christian to keep closely tied to the daily news outlets and Internet streams and remain obedient to this verse?
Whatever "truth" we like, whatever is honorable in our circles, whatever satisfies our sense of social justice, whatever highlights the lack of purity in others, whatever tickles our fancy, whatever inside joke we like to share about outsiders, if there is an excellent "gotcha" or anything worthy of a pat on the back for "one of our boys" at the expense of others, think about these things.
Ah, there, much easier. Wrong, but easier.
________
1 Two points. First, I put "sex change" in quotes because "sex change" is as unreal as "same-sex marriage". They violate standard definitions of reality. Second, I am waiting -- in accordance with the military's willingness to refer to Bradley Manning, now called Chelsea Manning, as "she" -- for the announcement from the military that they are pleased to have a new officer in their service. He was born Billy Bob down in Louisiana, but has since discovered that he is actually Napoleon. The Army is delighted to have such a capable and distinguished general in their ranks. Crazy, I know, but no more so that "sex change".

2 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Sadly, I've had Phil 4:8 used to justify sinful behaviors. Hard to find something that won't be distorted for nefarious purpose.

Stan said...

While I'm quite sure people can twist lots of good Scripture for evil purposes, I cannot imagine how they would twist this one for sinful behaviors. What a shame.